Wednesday, March 26, 2014

League Topic: My Life In One Square Foot



  I've been away from posting for a couple of months, but am so happy to, finally, get back into some blogging. And what better way to kick it off than with the latest topic from The League? Alaska and I are still in the throes of unpacking, but I didn't have much trouble finding things to fill in a square foot of space, either way. Without further ado....



  Starting at the top, from left to right, we have:

  1. The Mystery Machine. I love all things Scooby Doo (Alaska has been adding to my Scooby Doo DVD collection pretty much from the moment we began dating, so I now own just about every incarnation of the show, with the exception of the original series "Scooby Doo, Where Are You!" And that waits for purchase on my Amazon Wish List) Scooby Doo has always been one of my "go to" shows for the days when I don't feel well and just want to curl up on the couch, watch something, and forget about life for awhile.

 2. Jason Voorhees Funko Pop! This serves two purposes, actually. Number One, I love Jason Voorhees and the Friday the 13th movies (they are also "go to" movies for bad days) Number Two,  I have found a new collecting obsession by way of the Funko Pop! line. I own several, but with the slew of Tarantino based figures about to be released, I suspect that my collection is about to get a lot bigger.

 3. Zombies. I love zombies, and have many figures and pictures, etc. This Dis-member Me Plush Zombie (whom I named Morti) from ThinkGeek was a gift from a friend. (I own this awesome zombie jacket from them, as well)

 4. This is a Rogue figure from the "Famous Covers" series. I mentioned in a previous post that Rogue has been a nickname of mine for about 15 years, and since I was dubbed as such I have been given action figures, playing cards, books, and comic books featuring Rogue.

 5. Mine and Alaska's wedding picture (For the record, I am wearing flats, purple Doc Marten boots in fact, but yes, I am taller than he is by a few inches)

 6. Supervillains: The Joker's Last Laugh DVD. I do not particularly care for Batman (seriously, do we have to hear about his parents death/his origin story in every goddamn movie/cartoon that they make? My three year old niece knows that Batman has no parents, for pete's sake) Now that I got that rant out of my system, I can say that I love the villains of Gotham, The Joker, in particular. And Poison Ivy. Harley Quinn. The Mad Hatter. Etc. (All of my love is based on animated shows and live action movie personas, as I have, admittedly, not read many of the comics)

 7. Tony Furtado- American Gypsy Tony Furtado is an award-winning banjo and guitar playing prodigy, whom Alaska and I discovered the first year that we were together. In the first several months of our relationship, Alaska and I would sit in the office at his house and listen to the Pandora music station while we talked. Alaska has an immense love for Cowboy Bebop, and the music, and it was on a station dedicated to The Seatbelts that Tony first popped up. We got lucky that year, Tony was touring and had a show about an hour away from where we live. So we went, and it was fantastic (that's the show where we got the above cd, which Tony signed) We had to wait over two years until Tony came back to do another show in our neck of the woods. And that time around, Alaska proposed to me while Tony played the first song that we had ever heard together in the background.

 8. Nintendo controller for my NES, and my main man, Mario. Mario was my first, and really only, video game love. I played for hours. When we got the Super Nintendo system, I blew my way through Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, and 3. Then came Super Mario World, and Dr. Mario. These days I play on a Wii, but I've added Paper Mario, Mario Kart, and Super Mario Bros Wii to the mix (I haven't purchased Super Mario Bros. 2 yet, but I do plan to add that in the near future- I still love my classics!)

 Stack of Books on the Left- top to bottom:

 1. The Fire Rose- Mercedes Lackey. I'm a big fan of fairy tale "reworkings," and this is one of my favourites. Alaska is a Lackey fan, I had never heard of her until he gave me this book to read. I love this book. I've since read others, and am actually reading Unnatural Issue right now.

 2. It- Stephen King. My father gave me this book when I was 11, as I have mentioned before. Stephen King was really my first horror author obsession, and that opened me up to all kinds of other horror writers. It's a love that I still have today.

 3. Alice in Zombieland- Lewis Carroll and Nikolas Cook. I love Alice in Wonderland. I love zombies. The most interesting thing about this book is that I bought the first printing of it, and when it sold out the second printing was entirely different (I do own a copy of that one, too) I love the insane cover art of the first printing, however. I have been known to buy books for  their crazy cover art, alone.

 4. FM 21-76 Army Field Manuel. I own a plethora of survival manuals, some tongue-in-cheek, most that are more serious. I'm not one of those hardcore survivalists, but I do like being alive, so I find them useful. Also, I use them for research in some of my writing.

 Intermission: Mini-Sam Funko! I have posted about mini-Sam before, but had to include him in this picture. Trick 'r Treat is one of my favourite movies of all time, and is currently my Number One "go to" movie when I am not feeling well: physically or mentally. (FYI, before Trick 'r Treat was my "go to" feel better movie, Natural Born Killers preceded it. I mention this only because NBK is what led to my current internet handle: Natural Blonde Killer- I love the movie, and I'm blonde. And there you have it.)

 Stack of Movies on Right- top to bottom:

 1.Night of the Living Dead, the original B&W. This was the first horror movie that my mother bought for me, when I was 10 or so (she bought it for me on VHS, which I still have but is packed away somewhere right now) So this movie has always held a special place in my heart.

 2. Halloween, 1978. This was also from Mom (again, on VHS) and was the first colour horror movie that she bought for me. (In between NotLD, I received the 1925 Lon Chaney version of Phantom of the Opera, and also the 1931 version of Dracula, with Bela Lugosi. My guess is Mom was trying to temper in some more classic horror to balance out what was obviously my love of blood and gore movies)

 3. Tarantino XX. I love Quentin Tarantino. I love his movies, I own several of his screenplays (I like to see the changes from paper to screen) and am working on collecting the others. I read books and articles and papers that try to break down his methods and his visions. I don't even hate him as an actor (although, damn, his Aussie accent was bad in Django Unchained ( I read that QT did the part himself because of time constraints, and that it was originally supposed to be that creepy guy from Wolf Creek, but he had to back out at the last minute)

 I guess that about wraps it up. This turned into a much longer article than I expected it to, but these things sometimes happen. Be sure to head over to Cool and Collected and check out some other great pics!

A few to whet your appetite:

The Nerd Nook

CoolandCollected

Achievements in Gaming










9 comments:

  1. Nice photo! Dig the variety ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should see some of the things I left out! :-)

      Delete
  2. Great post, I like how you broke down each element with a description. Rogue was always one of my all time favorite X-Men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I never thought much about Rogue (despite watching X-men cartoons for years) until I got branded with the name, but I came to love her, and she's definitely become one of my favourites, as well.

      Delete
  3. Great mix there. I used to love that Famous Covers line, but I never realized there was a Rogue figure released.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just blew through some of the Famous Covers on Ebay, and I can honestly say that I had no idea how many different figures they made for that line.

      Delete
  4. nice blog.
    https://horrorvidz123.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete